Like the Model B before it, the B+ was driven by a 6502 Processor, but this time with 64kb of RAM.
I remember some great ROM based software we used to use on the BBC Family. It was always a challenge to get on to the computers with the right ROMS in for certain tasks as they didn’t all have the same things.
Dredging the depths of my memory finds all sorts of nuggets of information on the Software I dabbled with at the time!
- Wordwise Plus (*W. or *wordwise)
- Inter Base (*IB.)
- Inter Chart (*IC.)
- Inter Word (*IW.)
- AMX Super-Art (*AMX ON // Break // *ART )
- AMX Pagemaker (don’t think this was ROM Based tho!)
- Watford Electronics DUMPOUT 3 (for Screenshots! *GIMAGE EPS G P F for our Epson Dot Matrix Printers)
- SATPIC for receiving Weather Sat Pictures (*SATPIC of course)
- BCPL … (I remember finding this on one single solitary computer, and figuring out that *BCPL would start it, but could never figure out what to do after that)
- The Graphics Extension ROM… (*FX162 I seem to remember turned it on… then all sorts of fun with Sprites!)
My GCSE in Computer Studies
More than a few years ago now, I used the BBC Model B+ for my GCSE Computer Studies class, and I remember having started to dabble with the RM Nimbus PC-186 series in the room next door, and found them captivating. I started out writing a simple program to manage and store records about the Solar System, number/size of planets etc, but this just grew and grew.
I remember writing a series of modules that tried to make the best use of the technology we could, and so wrote what in hindsight was a crude but fairly fully featured database program. The user could define the data fields, lengths, types, etc and customise the field names, so that the program could store all sorts of information. I wrote parts to make use of the Teletext Mode7 features the BBC offered. I wrote a Forms designer, so once you’d designed your DB structure you could design a screen for data input. There was a Graph Plotter, that could do simple Bar charts and Pie charts from data in the user defined databases, and these could be printed using the Dumpout 3 ROM capabilities. One of the modules even used the AMX Mouse as it’s primary input device. The downside of all of this was that my program HAD to run on a BBC Model B+ (it would’t run in the Model B’s 32k, and required a Double Sided Floppy Disk to run as the code wouldn’t all fit on a single sided disk and still allow for the user to create/save files!
Oh, and in case you’re interested, I got an “A”